Appliance Recycling Program
Recycle your old refrigerator or freezer and receive a check for $50. Chances are, that old refrigerator or freezer in your basement or garage is running up your utility bill by an average of $150 a year. Recycle it, reduce your energy use and keep harmful materials out of landfills. We’ll pick it up and you’ll pick up $50.
Old refrigerators and freezers can use up to four times more electricity than new models.
FirstEnergy's Pennsylvania utilities have contracted with JACO Environmental to provide appliance recycling services to their Pennsylvania residential and small commercial customers. JACO will perform all pick up and recycling activities for this program.
To schedule an appliance pickup with JACO, call 877-270-3521 or, schedule online.
You will receive $50 for recycling a working refrigerator or freezer, and $25 for a working window air conditioner. Checks will be mailed by JACO about six weeks after pickup. See below for program requirements.
- Home pick-up at no extra cost
- $50 reward for refrigerators and freezers
- $25 reward for room air conditioners
- All units responsibly recycled - including proper handling of harmful materials and recycling of 95% of fridge materials
- Offer available to First Energy residential and small commercial customers
- Refrigerators and freezers must be between 10 cf-30 cf - this is a typical kitchen fridge size (see "correct size" calculator for instructions on how to measure and to check your unit)
- Room air conditioners can only be collected with a refrigerator or freezer
- Limit of 2 refrigerators or freezers and 2 room air conditioners per customer per year
- Units must work and should be plugged in prior to collection so crew can confirm this
- Refrigerators and freezers must be cleaned out and defrosted and water lines disconnected
- Units must be accessible with a clear and safe path for removal
- The removal team will not risk injury or modify your home such as removing doors or railings to remove a unit